Plastic surgery is a major decision that needs proper planning and consideration. It is therefore imperative that you find a qualified and experienced surgeon. Here are seven of the most important questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before finally getting under his/her knife.
1. “Am I a good candidate for the procedure? ” This also helps you identify what can and cannot be done and helps you set realistic expectations.
2. “What are the risks involved in this procedure? ” Given that every surgery carries some danger, your surgeon should be able to explain to you very well the risks associated with the process.
3. “Are you a certified Plastic surgeon? ” It is highly important that you check certification from American Society of Plastic surgeons, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or The American Board of Plastic surgery. Certification and membership ensures training, skill, and competency.
4. “Is the surgical facility where the procedure will be performed accredited? ” Accredited clinics and facilities adhere to strict safety and operational protocols. You may consider having the procedure done at a hospital where the doctor has privileges to perform this type of operation.
5. “How many times have you performed this procedure? ” The number of patients under the doctors care may somehow measure expertise. Likewise, request before and after photos of actual patients who have undergone the same procedure you wish to go through as these photos somehow guarantee the result the surgeon could provide.
6. “How much would the entire procedure cost? ” Consider all the expenses and get a written breakdown of everything that needs to be paid.
7. “What are my alternatives? ” If you won’t be a good candidate for the procedure or that your limited budget gets in the way, your plastic surgeon may recommend alternative procedures or refer you to other doctors who can best accommodate your needs.